Thursday 8 September 2011

Fingers Crossed "Bonitos"

   One week at MPGIS went very fast and I could finally visit the building of Guadalcanal provincial government, where I will spend most of my time here. My colleagues from PGSP are Collin Bentley (Local) and Ronald Amigo (Philippines). Step by step I get to know everybody from the provincial ministry and try to absorb as much information as possible, as fast as possible by reading some materials about Guadalcanal and it's economy, policies and resources. Aspect of Island developing country can be seen at every corner, but to get to know the real mentality of the people it's good to get to the work environment. In the office, I share with my colleagues, is very small window which is not possible to open. Air condition stopped to work on Monday morning. It started to run again on Thursday afternoon, when somebody managed to pay the gas so we got the power back. At the moment I can enjoy the luxury of cool air again, but for how long? 

                                     Photo: Waiting for Executive Director of UNCDF with prime minister of Guadalcanal Province and other provincial ministers.

   On Monday I could see an other aspect concerning electricity which seems to be absolutely normal here; whole city of Honiara (and probably entire Island) was out of power for most of the day. My surprised questions met with careless answers from local people who are, obviously, already used to it. At that point I realized what kind of adventure I was experiencing, without knowing it,every day at the MPGIS Anthony Saru building when I took the elevator instead of walking up the stairs. In case that such a situation would appear while you are in there, it might be long hours of darkness in small closed space.

   I think I got used to the local people and their look. In fact they are very friendly and easy going. This feeling is even enhanced by the reggae music coming from everywhere. Positive vibe makes every way on the minibus much more enjoyable and makes me smile. It looks like I don't need much; sun, island weather, sea, interesting tasks to do and reggae music, what else would one need to smile when walking on the street? Let's just hope I will not make the impression of this crazy smiling foreigner running around.

   At the moment everybody lives by the atmosphere of Pacific Games, where Solomon Islands football team got to the final. The final game is today, so fingers crossed for "Bonitos". Looking at the Guadalcanal provincial budget I start to understand why they are such a successful sportsman: from total budget of 9,021,291.00 SID, was 823,044 spent on Sports leaving behind budgets for other activities, among others as well budget for Development Planning (116,684 = almost 8 times less), Commerce & Investment (27,000) or Agriculture & Livestock (130,000). The priorities at the Guadalcanal provincial level seem to be clear to me.Olympic games are the way how to get closer to Europe as next year is London the hosting place; "Go Bonitos, go!"

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you will have lots of fun there! So jealous. I actually looked up today for the first time where the Solomon islands are. It is very nice to be able to say now where you are! Maybe they should also play some reggae music in the Trolleybuses in Tallinn... I like smiling goofs on the streets! We should get more of those to Tallinn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Tallinn is more likely that you find funny smelling goofs, rather than smiling goofs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah especially those that like to go through your trash even though you might be still standing next to the garbage bin... I don't know if I should feel embarrassed, cry or buy them some food from the nearest shop... I would not eat my own garbage,it is hard for me to believe that it would be very healthy...:/

    ReplyDelete